Why should we prefer organic farming?
Organic farming is a method of crop and livestock production that involves much more than choosing not to use pesticide, fertilizer, genetically modified organisms, antibiotics and growth hormones. Organic farming promotes the use of crop rotations and cover crops and encourages balanced host/predator relationships. Organic residues and nutrient produced on the farm are recycled back to the soil. Cover crops and composted manure are used to maintain soil organic matter and fertility.
Advantages of Organic Farming
There are various advantages of organic farming as follows:
- It helps to maintain environment health by reducing the level of pollution.
- It reduces human and animal health hazards by reducing the level of residues in the product.
- It helps in the cost of agricultural production at a sustainable level.
- It reduces the cost of agriculture production and also improves the soil health.
- It ensures optimum utilization of natural resources for short team benefit and helps in conserving them for future generation.
- It not only saves energy for both animals and machines, but also reduces risk of crop failure.
- It improves the soil physical properties such as granulation, good tilth, good aeration, easy root penetration and improves water holding as supply and retention erosion.
- It improves soil’s chemical properties such as supply and retention of soil nutrients reduce nutrients loss into bodies and environment and promotes favorable chemical reactions.
Organic farming can be viable alternative production method for farmers, but there are many challenges, one key to success is being open to alternative organic approaches to solve the production problems. Determine the cause of the problem and assess strategies to avoid or reduce the long term problem rather than a short term fix for it.
HIT Best Agriculture College in Dehradun offers Agriculture Courses – BSc Agriculture, MSc Agronomy (Agriculture) MSc Soil Science, MSc Genetics & Plant Breeding
visit us at https://hitdoon.com
or contact us at 9411558989